The Green CertificateWhat is the Green Certificate?
The Green Certificate is an eco-label affirming environmental quality in vacation properties which save natural resources and use them rationally, offer environment friendly tourist activities, healthy, locally produced food and extensive information on the local natural, cultural and historical attractions. The Association 'Lauku ceļotājs' initiated ecolabelling of the vacation properties in order to:
encourage rural tourism providers to reconstruct, build and furnish vacation properties following local traditions, preserving landscape and using environment friendly building materials of local origin;
direct the development of rural tourism to ensure preservation of biological diversity;
convince rural tourism providers that sustainable tourism development creates conditions for strong economical advancement.
Implementation of the Green Certificate
The Green Certificate was developed and implemented by the Latvian Country Tourism association Lauku ceļotājs within an EC LIFE and Latvian Environmental Protection Fund co-financed project in co-operation with the Ministry of Environment of the republic of Latvia (2001-2004). Read more about the project in the Project
Necessity of the Green Certificate
Rural tourism businesses in Latvia are not able to do powerful individual marketing on the national, Baltic countries' and European level. The Green Certificate is an ecolabelling system to help tourists find information on the ecolabelled vacation properties and to guarantee particular quality standards for guests.Green Certificate advantages for rural tourism providers
information in the series of publications 'Green Holidays' to be distributed in the local and foreign markets;
information in the websites of the Association 'Lauku ceļotājs' and the Green Certificate project;
video featuring the ecolabelled vacation properties;
regular information supplied to mass media in Latvia,
international recognition - participation in international eco-label associations and advertisement in international eco-tourism publications (press, brochures and Internet sites).
2. Improvement of environmental awareness and business skills through participation in specialized seminars and attending conferences.
3. Using the 'Green Certificate' logo, an affirmation of a high quality environment friendly rural tourism product, for product promotion in the Association's catalogue 'Country holidays' and other publications.
4. Exposing the 'Green Certificate' plaque for tourists as an evidence of high quality service and environment friendly management.
5. A possibility to be selected as one of 4 project demonstration facilities, where experience exchange workshops will be held for rural tourism providers in order to show environment friendly operational practices. What is in the Green Certificate for tourists?
1. Information on vacation properties which offer eco-tourism services: environment friendly tourist activities, healthy, locally produced food and extensive information on the local natural, cultural and historical attractions.
2. Guarantee of high quality rural tourism services.
3. A possibility to individually contribute to environment protection and sustainable tourism development by spending holidays in those vacation properties which save natural resources and use them rationally.